Join Our Team
National University System Seeks Chief Innovation Officer
National University System (NUS) is seeking a Chief Innovation Officer as part of our growing Transformation Office team. The Chief Innovation Officer position offers the opportunity to make significant contributions across the National University System through developing, executing, and sustaining innovative and transformational initiatives. The leader is responsible for surfacing and operationalizing next-generation ideas. As a member of the executive leadership team, this position requires aspirational and operational skills, as well as inspiration and vision for the future of technology applications in higher education.
About National University System
National University System is committed to maintaining a high-quality, diverse workforce representative of the populations we serve. As a network of nonprofit educational institutions, the System serves a growing population of over 45,000 students. We are united in our mission to meet the global education demands of the 21st century and are dedicated to creating a supportive academic and work environment that allows for students, faculty, and staff to develop their interests and talents while experiencing a sense of community and a commitment to diversity. The National University System is a leader in creating innovative solutions to education and meeting the needs of our diverse student population, including adult learners and working professionals.
Today’s NUS innovators (faculty, staff, and students) are continuously reinventing to inspire, educate, and enable lifelong learners to impact society and transform their careers. Higher education is undergoing a lot of change, and new ideas are needed to engage, support, and enhance the learning experience. The purpose of innovation at NUS is to support student success through technology that supports competency-based learning and adaptive learning.
National University System is a network of four accredited nonprofit universities offering innovative educational programs to a diverse population of lifelong learners, from Pre-K-12 students to working professionals. NUS affiliates include National University, which includes the Division of Pre-college Programs; Northcentral University; City University of Seattle; and John F. Kennedy University. Learn more here.
About the Role
- Articulate and maintain System innovation strategy, portfolio, and roadmap
- Maintain prioritized and specific operational requirements for innovative new technologies and evaluate third-party products and services against those requirements
- Co-lead with the Chief Transformation Officer strategic planning and managing transparent systems of accountability
- Supervise technology implementation through recommendation, deployment, and effectiveness assessment in close liaison with external advisory board
- Monitor the competitive and environmental landscape of higher education innovation and identify strategic opportunities, risks, potential acquisitions, and partnerships
- Identify and develop proposals for potential investment opportunities
- Develop and present strategy, initiatives, proposals to Board, Senior Leadership, and internal/external stakeholders
- Act as functional liaison with business unit staff supporting System Presidents and Chancellor
- Represent the System in relevant industry groups and M&A events
Skills and Qualifications
- Proven executive leadership track record
- Demonstrate strong presence, reputation, and credibility in the technology industry
- Proven experience in developing strategy and driving tangible results across teams while leveraging data from a multitude of sources to tell a story
- Ability to influence and establish relationships with a diverse group of education, technical, and business leaders
- Demonstrated experience building a culture of innovation
- Resourceful, diplomatic, and professional; deliver outstanding customer service while managing relationships; a solution-focused perspective and work style that supports teamwork
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, with the ability to effectively collaborate in a cross functional organization
- Adaptable; be able to shift priorities and focus as departmental and/or business demands change
- Experience managing development budgets and technology roadmaps with a solid combination of technical and business acumen
- Experience operationalizing new technologies and establishing/managing third-party relationships
Requirements and Experience
- Master’s degree in business, management, or related field. PhD is preferred.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience working in technology leadership with a background in strategic planning and business development
Diversity and Inclusion
In June 2020, National University System formed a council on Social Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (S-JEDI), made up of volunteers who participate in this important work. It is the priority of the Office of S-JEDI to enhance the System’s climate and culture and build upon the diversity, equity, and inclusion work that is well underway at NUS affiliates.
Why Consider a Career at NUS?
As a network of nonprofit educational institutions, National University System employs more than 4,100 faculty and staff and serves over 45,000 students. NUS offers a comprehensive benefits package, competitive salaries, and an opportunity to work in an innovative environment.
The System is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by state or federal laws.
NUS employees are committed to maintaining a dynamic and exciting work environment that supports students and employees in achieving education and career goals.